Wednesday, October 17, 2007

fun with fluids

Hi there,

I worked a bit more on fluid rendering. I enhanced my blob rendering engine to support the surfacing model of the Zhu/Bridson 05 paper. After some problems in the beginning that works quite well now. The object plugin has a multithreaded meshing routine and a direct rendering routine of the implicit surface for VRay.

The direct rendering produces very smooth surfaces and exact motionblur. Rendertimes are longer with Isosurfaces.
For the simulation I wrote a connection to the Ageia PhysX SDK and wrapped that into a PFlow Node.
This worked out quite well. The simulation below was done in almost realtime. I think the thing that prevented it from being realtime was the PFlow overhead. But it's nice to be able to code the emitters with BirthScripts. The PFlow integration dynamically adds particles to the simulation as they enter the PFlow Event. This might lead to some interesting effects, but I haven't explored that route yet. SPH based solvers seem to be a bit picky about the input particles. They have to have equal distance to each other, otherwise the simulation blows up easily.




Watch in motion

Hope you like it.

Best regards,
Dieter

7 Comments:

Blogger actpower said...

Really really cool, men!. I like fluids, and I done some animations with Glu3D, but Glu3D have slow development (in fact, I think that they STOP all development).

Maybe when your plugin are robust I want to betatest it!!! please! :-)

6:10 AM  
Blogger Emerson4br said...

very nice work.. i want to betatest it 2!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Andrew Glazebrook said...

Very nice work !!!

7:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dieter that's amazing - it solves the biggest issue with realflow - the quality of the surface it generates. Fantastic stuff and hopefully you'll release it at some stage.

4:43 AM  
Blogger Vitek said...

Hi dimo, your images are just perfect, I tend to get as great renders of fluids as you did. Could You please tell me more about setting up the scene (lights, camera, ...)?
my email : v.lasota@seznam.cz

10:23 PM  
Blogger Jorge Capo said...

I need vrayiso for 3dmax 2009 64 bits. It's possible?
Thanks.
capouruguay@montevideo.com.uy

8:21 AM  
Blogger !!_NICK_!! said...

hi Dimo,

Great fluid solveR!
Anyway to beta or give it a try?

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Keywords: levelset, implicit surface, Isosurface, VRay, 3dsmax, raytracing